Does dyne:bolic work with VMware v4?
Absolutely!! dyne:bolic has been tested with VMware Workstation v4.0.0 build 4460 and it works without any problems.
How do I go about setting up a virtual machine for dyne:bolic?
Create a new virtual machine by following these steps:
Start the New Virtual Machine Wizard [Ctrl-N] in VMware
- When prompted by the Wizard, select a Custom virtual machine configuration
- Select Linux as the guest operating system
- Choose where to store the virtual machine
- dyne:bolic requires at least 64 MB of RAM so make sure you allocate enough memory
- You can use either Bridged Networking or Network Address Translation
- Create a virtual drive big enough and when you name the disk file click Advanced and choose IDE instead of SCSI
- Finally click Finished
Now edit the virtual machine that you have just created and change the CD-ROM to use the ISO image that you downloaded.
I've started dyne:bolic under VMware but there's garbage on my screen!
You will need to set your VMware Host to use 16-bit colour. [dyne:bolic] will then be able to select the correct graphics driver to be used in the virtual machine environment. Switch your graphical desktop's color depth to 16-bit.
I am booting dyne:bolic from the ISO but cannot nest it. Why?
dyne:bolic is reporting that it cannot find a hard-drive or memory-stick to nest to, right? In all likelihood, you haven't partitioned nor formatted a virtual drive yet. To do this, follow these steps:
In VMware, create a virtual IDE drive in your dyne:bolic guest system (NB: if you've choosen Linux as your guest OS, VMware creates a SCSI drive by default!)
- Boot into dyne:bolic and start Xterm
- Create an e2fs partition